Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Thoughts on the Blood Angels.

In the fifth edition of Warhammer 40k, there has been a brand new focus on mechanized armies. The change in the damage table meant that glancing hits could no longer destroy a vehicle outright. So rhinos, once considered nothing but a death-trap, have become nearly essential.

Various members of the community have established very well how effective a mechanized force of Blood Angels can be. Indeed, over-charged engines have made our rhinos and Baal Predators so very threatening.

However, I have some innate dislike for transport vehicles that I cannot possibly explain. Perhaps it stems from my limited ability to make an effective assault out of a unit that has been embarked in a Rhino.

Also, I just plain love jump packs. Rhinos just don't hold the same appeal.

This has led me to strive for a list that maintains some balance between mechanized and infantry units.

The standard game that I play is around 1500 points. I have hit upon the idea of a "rule of 2" (or more accurately "theory of 2") that is similar to the idea of making "cookie cutter" armies. Basically, if you are going to take one of something, take two instead. I feel like this gives a lot of options tactically.

For instance, it allows you to split your force to be almost even, which means you won't have a "weak flank" or anything. This also forces the opponent to make even more difficult decisions, because each unit you have should have a twin that is roughly equal in threat level.

Additionally, this makes virtually every unit in your army essentially "expendable." That doesn't mean they are useless or anything, just that if you lose one unit, you will always have another to fill its role on the battlefield.

In many cases, I think, this will reduce the number of units that you will be able to take in a list, however, each unit becomes a tiny bit more versatile. Granted, chances are that some units will become marginally more ineffective.

For the Blood Angels specifically, I think the ideal list for 1500 points would include something like: Corbulo, Lemartes (two HQ choices) Veteran Assault squad (as a mirror to your Death Company) Either two assault squads (both in rhinos, or both with jump packs) or two tactical squads (both in rhinos) Either two squads of two attack bikes, or two baal preds.

I'm not sure how those would specifically work out point-wise at the moment, but the idea is there.

This is all very spur-of-the-moment theory though, so as I say often on the forums when dishing out advice, take it with a grain of salt. I am very open to argument, as I am still learning as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment